If you think only ESRI produces GIS software, you need to see this list. Try one or two of these softwares that meets your needs.
- SAGA GIS – System for Automated Geoscientific Analyses- a hybrid GIS software. SAGA has a unique Application Programming Interface (API) and a fast growing set of geoscientifc methods, bundled in exchangeable Module Libraries.
- Quantum GIS – QGIS is a user friendly Open Source GIS that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- MapWindow GIS – Free, open source GIS desktop application and programming component.
- ILWIS – ILWIS (Integrated Land and Water Information System) integrates image, vector and thematic data.
- gvSIG – Open source GIS written in Java.
- JUMP GIS / OpenJUMP – (Open) Java Unified Mapping Platform (the desktop GIS OpenJUMP, SkyJUMP, deeJUMP and Kosmo emerged from JUMP)
- GRASS – Originally developed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, open source: a complete GIS.