Naomi Wolf (2007) affirms that dictators have the same pattern in history to close an open society with:
- invoke an internal and external threat.
- secret prisons where torture takes place.
- develop a paramilitary force.
- surveil ordinary citizens.
- infiltrate the citizen’s group.
- detain and release ordinary citizens.
- target key individuals.
- restrict the press.
- recast criticism as espionage and dissent as treason.
- subvert the rule of law.
See an interview and a documentary video about Naomi’s book: